Cintai Tioman literally means Loving Tioman.
The Cintai Tioman Program is an applied multi-layered movement with the aim to ebsure that Tioman's ecological and social resilience remains as strong as it is today, or - where possible - strengthen it. Cintai Tioman is an initiative of Reef Check Malaysia and EcoKnights, but also enjoys the welcome support of the GEF Small Grants Programme (a.k.a. GEF SGP), as implemented by UNDP, Yayasan Sime Darby and HSBC Amanah Takaful.
Typically, Cintai Tioman's role is to help lessen the impact that human activities tend to have on Tioman Island's environment, such as its coral reefs, tropical rainforest and mangroves. In addition, Cintai Tioman also encourages Tioman's villagers to get actively involved in the management and conservation of the island's fragile resources.
One example of Cintai Tioman's work is the rehabilitation of Tioman's coral reefs, some of which are showing a certain amount of wear and tear as a result of the countless tourists that visit Tioman every year. Cintai Tioman does this by working closely with villagers, resorts, snorkel and scuba-dive operators and other establishments that are located in or have an affiliation with Tioman Island
Cintai Tioman has two main objectives:
Cintai Tioman Goal 1
Increase the ecological resilience of coral reefs around Tioman Island
Reduce local impact to Tioman's coral reefs
- Reduce solid waste generation and accumulation
- Reduce sewage pollution
- Reduce impact of construction projects
- Reduce impact of tourism
- Improve management of protected marine area
- Conduct scientific programmes to provide data required for management and monitoring
Cintai Tioman Goal 2
Increase the social resilience of the community in Tioman Island
Build capacity of local communities to enhance better management of the island and its surrounding resources
How can you help Cintai Tioman?
- Socio-economic assessment baseline study
- Raise awareness about the importance of coral reefs among key stakeholders
- Empower the local community to manage its own marine resources
- Provide skills training to create supplementary employment opportunities
There's quite a few ways by which you can make a difference.
Use below form if you're keen to assist Cintai Tioman
We'll let you know how you can join our cause